Frequently Asked Questions
How long is the course?
National University Polytechnic Institute’s commercial dive program is 8 months long. Click here to view information on the commercial diving curriculum.
What is a typical day like during the commercial dive program?
Students arrive at 7am to begin training. During the first two months, students participate in physical training in the morning prior to reporting to their classroom for training. Month 3 is spent in the dive tank utilizing various diving rigs, dry suits, hot water suits, lift bags, and associated equipment. Months 4, 5, and 6 are spent at the pier conducting underwater projects. The last two months are spent at the campus going through the rigging and underwater welding courses.
The course schedule is Monday through Thursday from 7am to 3:30pm.
What costs are associated with the commercial dive program?
Application fee: $60
Tuition: $17,928 (includes the $2000 core fee and choice of specialty)
Does this program qualify for VA benefits?
The commercial dive program is VA approved. Many of our students are military veterans, we have a Veteran Affairs department that attends to all of the details allowing the student to focus on the training.
Is this school financial aid approved?
Yes, NUPI has a financial aid department that will walk each student through the FASFA process to ensure all paperwork gets submitted properly.
What certificates will I receive at the end of the program?
Upon successful completion of the eight-month training program, graduates receive the following:
- Professional Certificate in Marine Technology
- Association of Diving Contractors International (ADCI) Entry Level Diver/Tender card
- Association of Commercial Diving Educators (ACDE) card
- NUPI Underwater Welding course completion certificate (AWS D3.6:2010)
- Hazardous Waste Operations and Emergency Response (HAZWOPER)
- OSHA Forklift Operator course completion certificate
- Kirby Morgan Dive Systems International (KMDSI) maintenance technician card
- Divers Alert Network (DAN) First Aid for Professional Divers
- NUPI Rigging certificate
- CPR Certification
Diving Medical Technician specialty
- Eligible to sit for the National Board of Diving and Hyperbaric Medical Technology (NBDHMT) Dive Medic certificate examination
- Eligible to sit for the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians (NREMT) certificate examination
Underwater Inspection Specialist specialty (written/practical combined score of 80% or better)
- ASNT Magnetic Particle
- ASNT Liquid Penetrant
- ASNT Ultrasonic I and II
- ASNT Visual I and II
Are there any prerequisites or prior experience required to attend the commercial dive program?
The only requirement is a high school diploma or GED. No experience is necessary for this program. We will teach you everything you need to know in order to be successful in this industry. You should be comfortable in the water and have a desire to work hard.
How do I get started?
Fill out an online application or call 1-800-432-3483. After submitting the application, begin working on getting the dive physical complete and obtaining a TWIC card. Then, request to have your high school and college transcripts sent to the Regisrar’s office.
A diving physical exam is required prior to being scheduled for the commercial diving program.
Dive physicals generally take 2-4 weeks to complete. It is important to begin this process early in order to secure a spot in the class.